Wednesday, March 27, 2024

Owen's Reflection

This is not my first time in skid row, so the initial shock of the conditions did not affect me as if it was my first experience. This is not saying I was not impacted in several ways by things I have seen. One example which made me skid row in a more positive light is how respectful everyone is, even just passing out hygiene kits to the homeless. They have almost nothing, but still you can see the effort that they put in to be respectful and genuine. Another experience that warmed my heart is seeing the kids in South Park. One girl kept dragging me everywhere and right as I was about to leave, she comes up to me and gives me a drawing and a hug. These experiences changed my perception of skid row from basically like zone zero of a disease that needs to be contained, to a strong community of people in unfortunate situations putting in everything to be their best selves.

-Owen

Final Day Packing Up and Driving Home

Here are some photos from yesterday showing students packing up the tents and spending time at the Griffith Observatory. While we were there...